The following digital images consist of materials held in the University Archives at The University of Tulsa. These are the history of the University and its predecessor institution, Henry Kendall College.
In 1882, the Presbyterian Church established a mission school for Native American girls in downtown Muskogee, Indian Territory. In 1894, Henry Kendall College was formed, absorbing the mission school. In 1898, after the graduation of the first class of students, the campus was moved three miles west to Kendall Hill, where it remained for nearly a decade. In 1907, the town of Tulsa brought the college north, setting it up in a small area downtown, before soon moving it three miles east to College Hill. In 1921, the college lost most of its ties to the Presbyterian church and merged with a planned Methodist college, forming Tulsa University (now The University of Tulsa).
The University Archives includes photos from across that history. Some of the historical images are also found in other collections, such as the Papers of the Robertson and Worcester families, 1815-1932.
Photos are described as:
- Postcards: Prints that were made into postcards (as was commonly done in the past).
- Photographic prints: Photos printed from the original negatives.
- Photographic reproduction: Second or later generation photographs, frequently made by scanning in a photograph or photographing another image, resulting in the creation of a new negative. These are derivative works and less detailed than photographic prints.